Molly's Game - Molly Bloom


I first heard Molly’s Game by Molly Bloom on Audible in 2019. I remember her story being captivating and powerful, but after time the details slipped away. Last year, I watched the movie for the first time on Netflix, and since then I think I’ve watched it a half dozen times. In most cases, the movie adaptation is not identical to the book, and I couldn’t escape the urge to purchase the book.

I ordered the book in the spring and finally picked it up a few days ago to read it. I’ve not made it through many books in less than a week but I read this one in three sittings! I could not put it down.

Molly puts her law school education on hold, leaves Colorado and makes her way to L.A., the city where few dreams thrive and most die quickly. After some dead-end waitressing jobs, she gets a job as an assistant to a real estate developer which leads her to running a high-stakes poker game for some of the biggest and finest of Hollywood.

But glitz and glamour, she learns, doesn’t come easy or free. She’s constantly insulted, humiliated, belittled and devalued by her boss, men she once knew only from the big screen and a multitude of other Hollywood elites.

Molly proves herself more than capable of running a poker game – a game that just months before she knew nothing about. She caters to every need of the players, both at and away from the table, and soon her game is the buzz of Hollywood.

When the world she’s sitting on top of begins to crumble, Molly’s true self becomes evident. She is a fighter, and anyone who wants to try to take her down has their work cut out for them. She absolutely refuses to give up, no matter what.

Molly is an inspiration. She’s honorable. She’s kind. She’s humble. She faced countless obstacles to become who she is today and dealt with each of them without the intent to harm anyone else. She knew that any decision she made, no matter the outcome, was hers and she took accountability.

I’d recommend Molly’s Game to anyone who is looking for a little bit of hope when it seems like life is completely against you.

Comments

Popular Posts