You Will Never Leave - N. L. Hinkens


You Will Never Leave was the first title from N. L. Hinkens I discovered and I’m a fan for life! Thriller is one of my favorite genres and this book was tough to put down. 

When Matt and Blair set off on what should have been a peaceful and relaxing multi-month camping adventure, they get everything but peace and relaxation. Their unforgettable camping trip begins with a rainstorm that forces them to stop in Bird Creek, sixty miles away from their original destination. 

Soon after they arrive, they learn rain and a change of plans is the least of their worries. Matt, Blair and the small group of campers surrounding them become trapped after a mudslide comes through and scatters a mass of debris around the mountain. They agree to work together, ration food and share supplies until they can figure a way out. Their agreement is broken when they find a dead body among the debris and everyone’s now become a murder suspect.  

Beyond the shared problems, Hinkens created a diverse cast of characters that each arrived in Bird Creek with their own problems which added to the level of conflict. Some are easy to love and others take a little more time to get used to. 

I loved the setting of the campground! I grew up camping and it brought back a lot of memories – nighttime walks to the outhouse, the smell of a fire and roasted marshmallows. I thought it was a great place for a murder mystery because it was a neutral ground and put everyone at an equal disadvantage. Everyone only had what they came with and no one way to gather anything else. No one was any more familiar with the area than anyone else. 

I was sure I knew who the killer was at least four times and was wrong every time. This is not an easy mystery to solve and it kept my attention through every page. I’m looking forward to reading more books by N.L. Hinkens and recommend this one to anyone who loves mysteries and thrillers!

I received an ARC of this novel and am leaving my review voluntarily.

Comments

Popular Posts